Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Secret to Amazing Roast Potatoes

I know its silly, but something makes me rejoice inside when I know an incredible aroma is wafting from my kitchen into the neighbours house. Let's just say we haven't had the best of luck with those particular people, and, as much as I refuse to stoop to their level, I let myself feel a mean satisfaction when this culinary delight occurs. I know they don't often cook, and I refuse to believe that such fragrances floating by anyone's nose does not touch some sense of longing. Long away, long away, neighbourinos. The roast is going on our table and we will devour every delicious piece of it!
Alright, I admit its my husband and not me that's the master of roasts. I'm the queen of sweet delights and he is the king of savouries. But when it was his birthday, I promised I would make him roast duck, and I wanted it to be perfect. It was delicious! (okay, he cooked it). But I had a little victory while preparing that roast dinner. Roast vegies! I have never ever been able to get crispy, golden looking roast vegies and it has long bothered me. The potatoes always look pasty and simply boiled, the others limp and unattractive.
I discovered a very simple and magnificent little secret. Well, I think it has to be a secret because I have never dined anywhere on any cooks roast vegies that were so crisp and delightfully golden. I love giving away secrets. Whats my excuse today? Well...lets just say its in celebration of my husband and my anniversary coming up. Why not. Read away! (unless you are those particular people next door...no secrets coming your way).


BEST ROAST POTATOES (Super Food Ideas June 2004)

1 kg Coliban or Sebago potatoes
3-4 tbsp. oil

Preheat oven to 200°C. Peel potatoes and cut into chunks. Place into a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 15 minutes or until partially cooked (potatoes should be only just tender when pierced with a skewer).
Drain potatoes well. Return to saucepan over low heat until any remaining water evaporates. Shake saucepan vigorously to rough up surface of potatoes (this will make them crunchy when roasted). Alternatively, scrape surfaces of potatoes with a fork to create a rough texture.
Pour oil into a large roasting pan. Place roasting pan into oven for 5 minutes or until oil is hot. Working quickly, add potatoes to hot oil. Use tongs to turn potatoes to coat in oil, then return roasting pan to oven.
Roast potatoes for 40 minutes. Turn and roast for a further 30 minutes or until golden and crisp. Season with salt. Serve immediately.

NOTES: We used the oil left in the bottom of a jar of sundried tomatoes, which was full of herbs and spices. This added a great flavour to the potatoes! We also used the same "roughing" technique on sweet potatoes and they turned out beautifully golden and crisp too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...