Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Luke Special--Chocolate Layer Moon Pies

Sometimes I am asked to do a bit of catering, and nothing gives me more joy than planning out what to make for the occasion...assuming I have time.
Often I just have to go with something simple and easy because I am, believe it or not, pretty busy. Its generally when I have time that there's no where to take this delightful food, and when I am requested to bring something...it either flops or isn't very creative because I rush and leave things to the last moment. Such is life unfortunately!
Anyway, I took a trip into my husbands work and brought a tray of goodies in for morning tea. I had the time and  made box of a variety of little cakes and pies, amongst which was a creation I called moon pies, because they reminded me of something I'd once seen called a moon pie. I don't think you can get moon pies here in Australia, but here's my version. Layers of shortbread, vanilla icing and chocolate...too yummy!





CHOCOLATE LAYER MOON PIES

125g butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup pure icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cornflour
icing sugar
vanilla essence
chocolate to coat

Using an electric beater, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add flours, and stir until well combined. 
Roll the shortbread mixture on a lightly floured surface until thin. Use a round cookie cutter to make circles, and place each on a lined baking tray. Bake until lightly golden. Remove from oven and cool. Combine some icing powder with water until a thick icing forms. Lather the top of two biscuits with the icing, and top with a third biscuit. Repeat until all biscuits are paired. Melt dark chocolate and pour over the top of each until it dribbles down the sides.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...