Friday, July 15, 2011

Deliciously Demented and Worth Every Burn

I get a little thrill run through me when I am about to start on a recipe for something I have never made before. It half excitement, half fear of the unknown. Will it turn out as expected? Will it be a shameful failure? Will it be a keeper?
Well...I have had another thrill for a long time too. Its an addiction to Churros...and for those who have never heard of churros, they are Spanish donuts. Long piped donuts, not the ones with holes in the centre. Flinders Street Station in Melbourne sells some of the best churros I have ever had, so if you're in that area, do take the time to buy one. You'll be hooked. Oh yeah! I'd almost move back to Melbourne just to be near them...but my husband...well, he's just a little better than churros and I choose him, convinced he has more going for him.
We always make a beeline for Flinders when we do visit that beautiful city though, to indulge in the deliciousness it always promises. What can I say...I'm a sucker for those babies!
Anyway, I stumbled across a recipe while pining for a nibble of their yumminess and thought I'd try my hand at home made ones.
Lets just say by the end of it my hands were blistered with oil splotches and will probably scar, but it was worth it. Mind you--they didn't turn out anything as I planned. Rather unconventional looking things, and I wouldn't call them churros. Demented donuts? Delicious demented cinnamon sugar donuts...too good not to try!



DEMENTED DONUTS (Cinnamon Sugar Churros)

1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk
90g unsalted butter
1 1/3 cup plain flour
2 eggs
3 cups vegetable oil

Put sugar and cinnamon in a baking tray and combine. Put milk and butter in a medium pan and cook, stirring over a low heat until the butter has melted (do not boil). Add flour and stir until mixture forms a ball. Transfer to a large bowl. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition until completely combined. Put mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Heat the oil over a high heat. Pipe 6-8cm lengths of mixture into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes or until churros float to the top and are golden. Immediately transfer with a slotted spoon to the sugar and roll until well covered. Serve with melted chocolate.


NOTES: I used a star nozzle that was too large, be sure to choose a thin one as these churros expand on cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...