Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Deceitful Slice

Like I previously said, I'm a big fan of wow-factor foods. But I'm doubly impressed when something looks completely ordinary and turns out to have lots of  wow and pow in the mouth. Of course then you can always jazz up the look of these plain-janes, but sometimes, its better to leave them as they are so as not to spoil the flavour or the simplicity of an edible. Its like those rare people you stumble across...the ones who look super ordinary and once you get to know them, their personalities just glow and they become beautiful. If you dolled them up, they wouldn't seem to be the same person, its as if they are somehow changed, not themselves.
Such is life for the family favourite that I am going to share with you. It was the president's favourite slice too...don't ask me what president. This is an older recipe that I dug out of one of Mum's cookbooks during my stay in Melbourne, so it was probably a president from a fair way back. This slice is always quick to disappear at our house, because everyone knows of its yumminess. Mum says she cant take it to parties though, because it looks too ordinary, but for the person who tries it, they will love this fact...the plate will be theirs! You could jazz it up with a drizzle of chocolate if you do want to fancy it up and take it out...if you can bear sharing it. I cant. Greedy me knows that this  moist, deceiving little slice is too good to pass up.  It even covers the fact that I dislike sultanas immensely. Now a recipe that can have a hated ingredient in it and still be totally irresistible is something!



PRESIDENT'S FAVOURITE SLICE

8 oz butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. golden syrup
2 cups self-raising flour
2 cups dried mixed fruit
2 eggs, beaten

Melt butter and golden syrup in a large saucepan. Add dry ingredients. Add beaten eggs and mix well to combine. Press with a fork into a lined lamington tin and bake in oven at 180C for 20-30 minutes until the top is golden.

NOTES: Honey is a good substitute for golden syrup. You could also substitute mixed fruit for chocolate chips.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Louise - I have just made this! IT tastes yummy raw, so I am sure it will be even better cooked!
    I used 1 cup each of sultanas and dried apricots. And I added in 3/4cup of rolled oats plus an extra egg - just to make it slightly healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great improvement Rachel, the apricots especially...yum! yes, the mixture is very yummy raw...so nice just out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...